Screen Magnifiers, Zooming and Color Contrast Accessibility Features
CougarView includes a number of features aimed at improving the usability of the system for assistive technology users. The following list outlines some of the design decisions that benefit people using screen magnifiers, zooming functionality and color contrast functionality:
- Standard page designs: similar functionality is located in the same place and accessed in the same way across tools.
- Support for browser and assistive technology scaling (zooming) and contrast options: system content uses styles that can be overwritten by cascading style sheets (CSS), although the complexity of the system requires detailed style sheets.
- Full keyboard accessibility: the tab order is logical, and tab focus is visually indicated.
- Accessibility standards compliant code: if your screen magnifier supports basic screen reader features, such as reading the cursor location or navigating by links, you can use these features effectively.
- User Preferences for simplifying the layout of many tools: additional accessibility related preferences, including the ability to change system fonts and font size and the ability to turn off the HTML Editor (WYSIWYG).
- System information is not communicated by color alone.