Keyboard Only Navigation Tips
This topic provides some basic advice for people who navigate CougarView using a keyboard or assistive technologies that emulate a keyboard.
Use the Tab key on your keyboard to navigate the options on a page. Use Shift + Tab to return to a previous option. CougarView highlights page elements that you can interact with (such as links, fields and buttons) as you Tab through them, to make it easier for you to complete tasks and select options.
Press the Enter or Return key to select a link or button.
Use the Down Arrow and Up Arrow keys to navigate drop-down menus that have an Apply or Go button beside them.
Use Alt + Down Arrow keys (Windows and Linux) or Option + Down Arrow keys (Mac) to open drop-down menus that do not have an Apply or Go button, and then use the Down Arrow, Up Arrowand Enter keys to select an item in the drop-down.
Use the Enter or Return key to open a context menu attached to a thumbnail image, and then use the Down Arrow, Up Arrow and Enter keys to select an item.
Use the Space Bar to select a radio button option.
Warning: Do not use Alt + F4 to close pop-up windows or pages. This action closes your browser window.
Navigating the HTML Editor
Use the Tab key and Shift + Tab keys to navigate through the options in the HTML Editor.
Use the Shift + Arrow keys to highlight content in the main content area of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + Q keys to jump to the top tool menu of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + Z keys to jump to the main content area of the editor.
Use the Shift + Alt + X keys to jump to the element path for the editor.
There are a number of settings in the Preferences tool that you may find useful when navigating CougarView by keyboard.
Appearance and Accessibility Tab
- Select the Show secondary windows as pop-ups option to simplify secondary window navigation.
- Some keyboard dependent users find the HTML Editor cumbersome to use and prefer to create HTML content in external tools. There is an option to Turn off the rich text editor and view source. The HTML Editor is replaced with a text field that supports HTML content.
- Clear the Show the discussion topics list and Show the preview pane options to simplify the layout of discussion lists.
- Some users also Include original message text in replies so they don't have to move between discussion messages as frequently.
- Some users select Include original message in email replies so they do not have to move between messages as frequently.
- Clear the Show the Message Preview pane and Show the Folder List pane options to simplify the layout of your Inbox.
Please make sure you have Flash installed on your computer before previewing a pager sound. If you do not have Flash installed, CougarView uses your default media player to preview sounds. Many popular media players trap keyboard navigation.
Getting Additional Support
If you are having difficulty using CougarView to complete your course work, consider seeking help from your instructor or the Center for Accommodation and Access. This office exists to help users learn new technology, seek special accommodations, and organize tutoring and other support.
Columbus State University is committed to providing accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in a timely and effective manner. To request a reasonable accommodation, students must be registered with the Center for Accommodation and Access.
Accommodations will be made based on eligibility determined by the Center for Accommodation and Access. Services can be requested at any time during the semester by clicking on this link. Requesting services well in advance will help to ensure that resources are available when needed. Please contact a Joy Norman office at 706-507-8755 or email@example.com